Thursday, April 21, 2016

New Favorite = Chicken Fajita Bake

This recipe was to good not post this week. It is equivalent to a dump and bake, which in my eyes is the perfect recipe (thank Pinterest). Little clean up, little thought, little time! It is the ideal recipe for a busy family or someone who just doesn't like to spend all day in the kitchen. 


We eat chicken fajitas at least once a week. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to make, and delicious. The one thing I hate though about making them is cutting up the chicken. I know seriously not really something you should be complaining about, but I am, I hate cutting up chicken for whatever reason. This recipe allows me to make chicken fajitas without cutting up chicken. It has moved into my top favorite things I make and enjoy eating. Mr. approved as well!



Not long ago I posted a recipe entitled "Dump and Bake." You do just that, you dump all the ingredients in one pan and bake it. This recipe is the same concept. There is a little more prep work required because you do have to cut up the veggies before hand, but that doesn't take long. I have even seen pre-cut fajita veggies at Target if you are looking to make this recipe even more simple you could definitely purchase those. 


I maybe crazy, but I think this version of chicken fajitas is really good, probably better than when I cook it on the stove top. This time around I forgot to purchase taco shells so we just ate the chicken and veggies (less fattening I'm sure), still just as filling. I also whipped up some guacamole. The dictator has been requesting this for the past three days so I thought it would be a perfect side for fajitas. 


I am going to include my homemade guacamole recipe (sorry no pictures). I have been working hard since moving to Connecticut to get this recipe just right and I think last night I nailed it. Long ago Kroger made the best guacamole seasoning package. You just poured the mixture in with two avocado and you had some amazing guacamole. Sorry, don't rush out to buy it because they no longer carry it. Well at least I haven't been able to find it in over a year. Definitely not finding it now in Connecticut, no such thing as Kroger (seriously crying over this). 


Another thing that you can do but I just didn't, but have before. You can make your own fajita seasoning. There are tons of recipes out there to make your own and chances are you probably have most of the ingredients in your cabinet. If you are meal planner just google homemade fajita seasoning before making your list, if you want to make your own. If you aren't making your own the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons which is equivalent to an a package of fajita seasoning that you can get at the store. I used Ortega brand but feel free to use whichever brand you prefer. 


So if you are again looking for quick and easy you have found the blog to follow, because currently that is what I am all about! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did, I am honestly looking forward to making it again (next week I am sure). 

Ingredients
2 lb. boneless chicken breast
2 teaspoons fajita seasoning
1 cup salsa
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 orange pepper, thinly sliced
1 onion (I like sweet onions, but red will work too, I tend to buy onions in a bag and just store them in fridge, you always need an onion for like every recipe), thinly sliced
1 1/4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded 

*feel free to use whatever color peppers you want, I just picked red, yellow, and orange because you could get a 3 pack that day at the grocery. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Spray 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the chicken breast in the bottom of the pan. Cover evenly with fajita seasoning. Then top the chicken evenly with salsa.

Spread the sliced peppers and onions on top of the chicken, then drizzle the olive oil over the peppers and onions. Sprinkle the top with cheese.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked

Guacamole Recipe

Ingredients

2 Hass avocados, ripe
jalapeƱo 
1 1/3 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt (I prefer kosher) 
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 onion (red or sweet), chopped 

*You can also add 1/4 cup cilantro (cilantro doesn't do it for me so I leave it out) 2 plum tomatoes (if I have bought them that week I include them, but definitely don't buy them just for guacamole) 

I use my Kitchen Aid to make guacamole. Seriously just combine all ingredients and mix until desired smoothness, I like mine a little chunky. I also like to put it in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes before serving, but you can serve it whenever. 





No comments:

Post a Comment