Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Grilling Season Chicken Avocado Burgers

We have finally turned the corner here in Connecticut. I think we may actually be in the early stages of spring. The grass still isn't green, flowers still aren't blooming, and the trees are beyond ugly, no leaves. However, we did get above 70 two days in a row and are lingering in the 50s and 60s on most days. We've been able to go to the park a couple of times, which is a huge plus in the stay at home mom department. You start to go a little crazy staying cooped up in a small little apartment 24/7. 

With the weather finally warming up we are going to take advantage of the outdoors while we can. I think that is every body's motto in Connecticut. I kid you not if it is 60 degrees or above outside people are out and about. The parks are filled, restaurants are offering out door sitting, and just in the few days that it has been warm we have seen more and met more people in our apartment complex than we have since we lived here. Our apartment complex has a great little patio with two grills and outdoor seating. It seems like the grills are a revolving door (you actually have to sign up to use them, imagine that another crazy rule here in Connecticut, whatever happened to just waiting your turn) and people definitely are starting to come out of their cocoons and venture to the patio to sit by the fire pit and drink a glass of wine. We have quickly discovered most people living in our complex are transplants like us, not so many locals. 



Back to the recipe. I don't eat red meat but love to grill out. Usually that consist of chicken or turkey, so when I found this recipe on Pinterest I thought I would give it a try. I'm not really one to use ground chicken but these tasted great, Mr. approved! I have made them twice now, once on the grill and once on the stove top. I like them both ways but the Mr. said they were better when cooked on the stove top, more moist! Either way I don't think you can go wrong.



My one regret, which I have done twice now, is that I didn't put pepper jack cheese on top. I think that a little pepper jack would give it a little more spice and would taste great. We eat them bun-less and we don't use any toppings (I'm sure there are some out there, so if you try this and think of some feel free to comment below). I usually don't mash up the avocado to much because we love avocado, I like the chunkiness of fresh avocados. Just be sure if you like chunky avocados to not get a super ripe one.



The great thing about this recipe is that it is just a one bowl dish, if you are cooking on the grill. Meaning minimal clean up time. Also if you make to much these freeze really well. Both times I have made them I have made enough to make 4 burgers. Last time I froze one of them and recooked it for lunch one day on the stove, this time I cooked them all and just reheated the extra one in the microwave. Either way it's nice to know that you have the option of freezing them (make ahead dinner for all those freezer meal people.)



The jalapeño is optional, but honestly it doesn't make it that spicy. I think having the avocado a little chunky takes some of the heat away from the jalapeño. If you like things spicy I would add 2 jalapeños, if not stick to 1. I would recommend adding the jalapeños because it does help add some extra flavor. 



Again this is another super quick and easy meal to make. I see us cooking it several times as the weather warms up. You can't see it in the picture but there is pool off to the side of the patio. I have a feeling we won't be able to get a little girl out of it when it opens in May (hope its heated.) We maybe signed up for that grill every day, so if you have a good recipe for the grill (no red meat) feel free to leave it in the comment section below.



Happy spring time y'all! So long winter!

Ingredients
1 lb. ground chicken
1 large ripe avocado 
1 chopped clove of garlic (I use minced, it was in the fridge)
1/3 cup Panko crumbs 
1 minced jalapeño (I just chopped mine)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper

Add all the ingredients into a bowl and toss gently. Shape into desired size patties and grill indoors or outdoors. 







No comments:

Post a Comment