Monday, May 2, 2016

Hippy Momma - Homemade Laundry Detergent

Yep, its official I have either 
a.) lost my mind or 
b.) become a hippy momma and slightly crazy
The Mr. is currently reading this statement and laughing. 

I am now in the homemade laundry detergent making business all thanks to none other than the Internet. Being a part of the educational world prior to staying home I noticed a huge increase in girls and boys starting puberty earlier and earlier. I use to come home and search the Internet to see if research had been conducted to determine if this was a true event occurring or if it was just my imagination.  As a parent to both a sweet little girl and boy this is frightening. I want to preserve their childhood as long as possible. We have all the time in the world to be a grown up, why rush it? 


Literally, I maybe 

I don't know if making my own laundry detergent will make a difference, or if eating only free range chicken is going to stop early onset puberty. I have read countless articles about this topic and in the end I have to trust that God is in control, but I am going to do a few things to maybe help him out a bit. If you think I am crazy you probably just want to stop reading this post (my parents included, I think they were slightly concerned when they visited us and discovered their daughter was becoming a pioneer, not really). No I have not officially jumped aboard the crazy train and stopped wearing deodorant or never letting my children eat a cookie, or McDonald's for that matter (everything in moderation, and plus you can't stop grandparents, just throw in the towel on that one). I am not making every single piece of food we put in our bodies, and while I do read a lot of the labels I am certainly not reading them all. Plus I have read several articles and looked at the Environmental Working Group site to see that laundry detergent contains tons of chemicals that have developmental and reproductive effects along with many other medical conditions. With our skin being the largest organ in our bodies all those chemicals are just getting soaked right up bound to cause problems. 
  Now I am not one to love to do laundry. I do love the fresh smell of clean clothes but I actually despise laundry. Even more so with kids. I feel like I do it 24/7! With that being said laundry detergent is not only full of chemicals but ridiculously expensive. We weren't using anything grand around here prior to me making my own (Purex, told you nothing grand). The switch has been easy for us since it really couldn't get much worse. Now for you Tide Pod lovers out there you may not enjoy this as much, it does require using the cup again (sorry Mom).

If you are an essential oil user, than this right up your alley. I actually got the recipe from Pinterest (imagine that) and the lady who created it used essential oils in her mixture. If you are like me and haven't jumped on that train yet it is fine to make it without the essential oils, I do. 

I just kept one of my old Purex bottles and have been making the laundry detergent and placing it in the bottle. I wish I would have kept 2, because when I make it I end up having to store half of it in Tupperware because it makes more than enough to fill my 200 load Purex bottle. 

Overall the things I like about making my own laundry detergent is I know everything I am putting in it, it smells great, it gets the job done, and it saves me money. It does take a little more time. You aren't just going to be able to pop over to the grocery and pick it up. You are going to have to plan an extra 30 minutes every couple of months to make it, depending on how quickly you go through laundry detergent. 

Some questions you may have:

1.) Is it safe of HE washing machines?
Yes
2.) Does it fight tough stains?
No, but come on neither does the leading laundry detergent. You are still going to have to pre-soak your grass stains, pizza sauce covered clothing.
3.) What does it look like?
Now the lady whose recipe I use has laundry detergent that appears thick, mine is kind of watery. I read on her blog that this completely normal and that it still does the trick. I am here to say that she is completely correct. 
4.) How much does it make?
The last batch I made probably made 400 loads of laundry detergent. I store it in 200 load container and I probably have another 200 loads of laundry detergent stored in Tupperware containers. 
5.) Why didn't you use borax?
Borax is a common ingredient in homemade laundry detergents, but did you know it probably one of the worst chemicals for your skin. Stay away from borax in your laundry detergent! 

*If you have more questions, feel free to comment and I will answer them the best I can. 

Ingredients:
2 gallon bucket
2 gallons water
1/2 cup Super Washing Soda(found at the grocery store, next to the borax) 
1/2 cup baking soda
3/4 cup castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner's in lavender, there are other scents)
Large wooden/plastic spoon
2 gallon glass container or reuse a laundry detergent bottle 

Directions

1. Measure half a cup of super washing soda and pour into bucket, use enough hot water to cover the super washing soda, stir well until the super washing soda is dissolved. 
2. Measure 1/2 cup of baking soda and pour into water and washing soda mixture, stir well until dissolved.
3. Fill to bucket all the way to the top with hot tap water, leaving about 1/2 an inch room.
4. Measure 3/4 cup castile soap (if you are using essential oils add them at this point) 
5. Stir until everything is well mixed
6. I used a ladle and funnel to place the mixture in my old Purex bottle.
7. Shake well between each load 

The Super Washing Soda and castile soap has lasted me through making 3 batches thus far, and I am only half way through both of them. The baking soda made it through 3 batches so I am going to have to buy some more before my next laundry detergent making day. If you are using essential oils you will have to account for this in the price. Your still going to end up saving yourself money in the long run, plus just think about all those chemicals you won't be putting on your body now! 

It was really hard to take pictures of the process (I tried) that were worth putting up. Now the lady that I borrowed the recipe from, she is good. You can check her blog out for the pictures, if you are interested in seeing them. Hope you give it a try and jump on board the crazy pioneer train with me. 







No comments:

Post a Comment