Thursday, February 11, 2016

Domesticated Life White Bean Chicken Chili Style

I am by no means a cook, but with the new adventure in Connecticut comes a new adventure in the kitchen. Connecticut is beyond expensive to live in and with the blessing of being able to stay at home means that things are going to be a little tight in the Logan household. Goodbye eating out every night, hello Chef Terri Todde (bahaha). The recipes that I will post are not my own creation. In fact they have probably come from some cook book, Pinterest for sure, blogs, and maybe someone in my family decided to write something for a change so I am borrowing their recipe. I will try to give credit where credit is do to my original sources but sometimes I may forget so please excuse me. I figured there are lot of ladies (and gentlemen) out there who have found the perfect recipe on Pinterest or cookbook but a.) haven't had time to try it, or b.) aren't really sure its worth it not knowing the outcome. Some of you may also just be in search for a new recipe, while others may just be wondering what the Logan's are eating. I decided it would only be worth my time to post the good, but will mention the bad (especially if they are from Pinterest). The Mr. has definitely taste tested all recipes before being posted, and my photography skills will hopefully improve as this blog continues.

Did I mention that it is cold here Connecticut? In fact as I currently type this post I am looking out the window at a foot of snow, with flurries falling from the sky. Don't worry though my southern friends the people here know how to do snow. Its no joke! Literally our first night here we had snow, naturally, and at 2:00 in the morning they were plowing the parking lot. Its not like home, where we wait a week for the 50 degree weather to return and the snow melts. Business as usual here in Connecticut. However, they maybe able to get rid of the snow but they can't get rid of the cold. The Mr. and I are relying heavily on soup these days as it not only warms your bones up but it usually provides leftovers (one less night to cook, praise the Lord). One of my go to dinners is none other than White Bean Chicken Chili. I adapted this recipe to make it a little lighter but the original source is a true chef by the name of Kari Blanas. Kari works at the Whiltshire Pantry in Louisville, for all my Kentucky friends or those followers who plan to visit Louisville. Definitely a great brunch/lunch spot. 

Check them out its definitely worth a visit:


Now onto the delicious white bean chicken chili. I myself am not near a fan of the red stuff as I am this delicious white stuff. To me the spiciness of this chili warms you right up. It almost taste like the white cheese queso you get at a Mexican restaurant turned into a soup. Your grocery list is pretty simple and several of the items you probably have in your cabinet.




I typically buy chicken tenders when I go to make any recipe involving chicken. Simply because I find them much easier to cut up. I hate cutting chicken I think it is disgusting but in the end I know it will be yummy, so the easier it is to get this part over with the better. The recipe calls for you to cut the chicken into cubes. I like them relatively small so that you get a piece of chicken with every bite, but feel free to make them bigger or even shred the chicken. 




Now this is my favorite part. I love when I begin to sauté the chicken, onion, and garlic powder. For some reason I think the combination smells wonderful and makes my mouth water. I usually use a separate pan to sauté but you can definitely make this entire meal all in one stock pot, and even the crock pot (although I will admit I am terrible with the crock pot so you will never see a crock pot recipe on this blog). 





I usually go ahead and mix all the other ingredients in the stock pot while the chicken cooks, because lets be honest with a toddler and a newborn the quicker you can get things done the better. 



The final part to this recipe is to add the Greek yogurt and half & half. Now the original recipe calls for sour cream and heavy whipping cream. In order to lighten meals up I usually try to substitute sour cream with Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream with half & half if possible. I know some of you are reading this and thinking "Greek yogurt, yuck." I promise you can't tell a difference. If I can get the Mr. to try it trust me people you can't tell the difference. Plus for all you out there who have kept that New Years Resolution thus far (keep it up) maybe now you will feel comfortable making this deliciousness.


There are probably millions of different toppings you can add to the soup (avocado, cheese, and the list goes on). I am a simple kind of girl and just typically add some type of cheese that has pepper jack in it or I just eat it plain. I have doubled this recipe to make it last longer because it typically only has about 4 to 6 servings depending on how generous of a helping you take or if you go back for seconds (which you probably will). Plus I like to eat it for lunch because it warms up easily in the microwave and taste just like it came off the stove freshly prepared. 



To all followers I hope you are staying warm this week as I know it is cold just about everywhere! 

White Bean Chicken Chili

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cans (15.5 oz.) great northern beans, rinse and drain
1 can (!4.5 oz.) chicken broth or stock
2 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup plain Greek yogurt 
½ cup half & half 
Monterrey or Pepper Jack cheese to top

In large pot, sauté chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.

Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings
Bring to a boil
Reduce to simmer
Cook for 30 minutes

Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and heavy cream
Return to low heat and cook until warm.

Top with Monterrey Jack of Pepper Jack cheese



No comments:

Post a Comment