Friday, February 26, 2016

Channeling my inner Martha Black Bean Goat Cheese Quesadillas

Martha has done it again! This time with my favorite cheese, Goat Cheese. I love goat cheese mainly I just eat in salads. Elin has developed a new love for quesadillas and I feel like I have become a master at making them. I decided that I should google ideas for different quesadilla's recipes that used goat cheese. Of course my girl Martha knew just what to do to give the Logan family a new recipe to go on the list. 


I will tell you this recipe is not really toddler friendly for those of you who have a picky eater like myself. Just because Elin loves quesadillas doesn't mean I am getting her to try a black bean. In this house the dictator orders pancakes, grilled cheese, cheese quesadilla, peanut butter, or pizza. She does enjoy fruits and veggies but a bean, you've lost your mind. 


Like I posted previously this week has been a busy week at the Logan household preparing for our guest. The little man also had to go to the doctor this week and I honestly feel like Amazon woman if I can get out of the house and do things like this with two kids. Not to mention I had several Etsy orders this week (not that I am complaining I wish I had a million). 


This recipe was perfect for the busy week. It hardly took any time to make, and was delicious. Which is why it will be added to the menu of things the Logan family eats regularly. Another perk is that its relatively inexpensive to make. Honestly, the goat cheese is going to be what you spend the most money on. 


Now you can adapt the recipe anyway you see please. I am going to write it the way I made it. Martha added 2 scallions, but I didn't have those in my house and wasn't going out to buy them. She also used a medium tomato, I had cherry tomatoes so I opted just to use those instead, about 12 of them. 


The recipe calls for you to mash the black beans. I have this fancy little tool that you mash potatoes with and it worked like a charm mashing the black beans. Honestly I have never even used it mash potatoes. I have just used it to make guacamole and now to mash black beans. Now if you have a quesadilla makers awesome, pull it out and use it. I however am relying on a frying pan. When we moved we had to get rid of so much stuff (big home to tiny little apartment), and at the time I was not using my quesadilla maker at all so naturally I got rid of it. Kind of makes me laugh now because I literally make someone a quesadilla 2 or 3 times a week. 


If you are using the good old frying pan like myself. I usually cook with butter or olive oil (butter, fatting I know but definitely the easiest to cook with). If I use butter I just use a little slice just enough to give it a little flavor and coat the pan. 


I only put the filling on half of the tortilla, trust me on this it makes it easier to put together. I usually let it cook for about 2 or 3 minutes, until golden brown, the filling will start to bubble. I don't fold it immediately because then you have to cook both sides and you end up with a mess. Once it is golden brown I will fold it into what now looks like a quesadilla. 



I am sure there are toppings you can add, you be the judge of that. I usually just do the plain jane quesadilla. Its a pretty light, no meat involved. Its probably a great meal for those of you still sticking to that new years resolution, or if your like me trying to loose the baby weight. It makes about 8 quesadilla's  depending on how generous you are with filling. If the Mr. likes it trust me you will like it, especially if your a goat cheese lover. Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
  • 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped (I used 12 cherry tomatoes)
  • 3/4 cup corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn or I bought a can of corn)
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 10 six-inch corn tortillas
  • Mash beans in a medium bowl until chunky. Add goat cheese, tomato, corn, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, and stir until well combined.
  • Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spread 1/2 cup bean mixture (or less) evenly over 1 tortilla. Repeat with remaining bean mixture and tortillas.
  • Raise heat to medium-high.Cook quesadillas until filling is hot and the quesadilla is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Fold quesadilla while still in pan. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment