Wednesday, January 25, 2017

My Kid Licked the Subway Rail

Yep, you read that title correctly. I am not going to lie about it. Judge away my friends, judge away! We tried to stop her. We tried to tell her it was covered in germs. We tried to tell her it could make her sick. But at some point you just give up and realize that your child is as hard headed as they come (kids will be kids). So, yes the dictator licked the rail on the subway, and yes we are just as disgusted as you. We like to think she was just building up here immune system. 

Chances are she is telling me "No mom, don't say that!"

We are slowly (like snails pace) adjusting to our new life in the big city. I can't say that I have been very adventurous. The thought of taking the two kids alone on the subway has been a little terrifying but I thought I was due to give my faithful readers an update. Mainly I am just going to update you on our new mode of transportation, because lets face it everyone is curious as how you get around such a large city with two littles, even I am curious. 

Just waiting for the train, Mom's a horse!

Well for starters we live at a stop that only has two subways lines coming through (or as we commonly say in our house trains), so our little stop is not like the hustle and bustle you will get in Manhattan. Its a pretty quiet stop, usually just a handful of people waiting for the next train to roll through. 

Quiet little stop

Now we haven't been here long enough to call ourselves experts by any means. In fact I feel like even the people who have lived here their entire lives still get confused and have to use the map or app (note to all future NYC travelers you can pick up a map (its probably the best map) from an attendant, just note that not all stops have attendants working). We have quickly come to rely on the  Subway Map, the stop map inside the train, and a little app called CityMapper (its the best one we have found so far). So today, I wanted to share with you guys our current viewpoint about public transportation in NYC.   

Life on the Subway from the Logan Family Viewpoint 
(we are a really credible source)

1. The Subway is not always reliable. 

  • The train can and does occasionally change its route in the middle of a ride. The Mr. has had this happen a few times now. The F line changed to a C line, or a train stopped because someone got sick requiring all other trains to change their route. This can be and is very frustrating, especially when you aren't really sure where you are going to begin with! 
2. Construction is annoying.
  • We use the F line to basically get everywhere. Well since we arrived the F line has been under construction on the weekend. What does that mean? Well what should be a straight shot to wherever we are going now means we have to take the G line up 5 stops, transfer over to F (which is running the C line, but changes back to the F line at 4th and Washington, do you understand this? We get confused too)! Apparently construction was suppose to end last weekend , we will see how that plays out! I am pretty sure something is always under construction here.  
3. Rush Hour = Run, jump, say a quick prayer that you don't get caught in the door and just start pushing your way in, eventually it will clear out! 
  • Seriously, the Mr. says sometimes you can barely squeeze in but if you wait for the next one it is equally as crowded so you might as well pile on, everyone else is doing it!
4. People are actually friendly. 
  • Now don't get me wrong its still not the South, but people always offer me a sit when they see our struggle bus coming(mom, two little kids=struggle bus). They smile and wave at our kids (sometimes its creepy). Most of the time people are willing to hold the door for us as I push my double stroller through. They aren't rude or mean, just people! 
5. Occasionally there is Entertainment 
  • So far on the Subway I have heard a poet (yep, read poems he wrote about his life the entire ride), violinist, cellist, guitar player, and a group of acoustic singers. Sometimes these artist ride on the subway with you, sometimes they are just on the platform performing. I have yet to see a pole dancer (which I have heard is common, I'll keep you posted on that one)! 
6. If you enjoy people watching, just ride the Subway, or sit at the airport for a couple of hours.
  • Ok, seriously there is great people watching on the Subway. You really never know what you are going to see. I have to stop myself from staring, but my kids are a whole other story. They are not ones to shy away from getting all in someone else's business. Sometime it is hard to look away though, so I can't blame them. 
See, she is not in our conversation!

7. You can not depend on elevators or escalators at all Subway stops.
  • So momma in a city with two kids in tow. Of course you would think that the only way to get two and from would be a.)riding the subway b.) using the stroller. Well you are right, both are a necessity, however, the two go together like oil and water. There are not elevators or escalators at every stop (and if you do find one it is probably out of order) so you are likely to have to take both kids out of the stroller and carry the stroller up and down the stairs. This momma has just invested in a new stroller that supposedly weights 16 lbs. (my current one ways over 30 lbs. without the kids in it, hence why we haven't ventured out much alone). If the Mr. is with us I typically Ergo Baylor and Elin rides in a little umbrella stroller. However, Baylor's Ergo days are quickly coming to an end (he is heavy and pulls my hair the entire time). 
He maybe sleeping now but usually he is plucking my hair out one at a time.

8. Making sure you exit the subway at the right spot can be challenging. 
  • There are multiple exits when you get off the subway (NE corner, SE corner, etc.). This is probably the hardest part me. If I do happen to pick the right way to exit I often end up walking the wrong way when I come out. I am a work in progress when it comes to exiting the subway properly. 
9. The Subway is so much better than driving. 
  • So yes, I do drive around here, and yes I feel like a rockstar when I survive from driving around here, or just parking for that matter. The Mr. agrees commuting on the Subway is just nicer than battling the terrible drivers of the world. 
So far we have been here a month I have rode the subway just about every weekend with Mr. to go to our favorite place, Chick-Fli-a (hoping this weekend it is much smoother since the F line is suppose to be working). 




I have also rode the subway alone (kind of peaceful) to meet up with some Muhlenberg County friends. I can't thank these ladies enough for including me in their trip. It was so great to see familiar faces. 

You know life has come full circle when you have a mimosa with your Kindergarten/6th grade teacher/High School Counselor!

Now I did gain some courage and I have rode the subway one time alone with the kids. Let me just paint a picture for you. It was pouring down rain, winds 30 miles per hour, and I could not take my stroller because I am simply not strong enough to carry it down the stairs, so the dictator had to walk and old her umbrella (picture that struggle bus in your head and go ahead and laugh). Now normally I would have never gone out in those conditions, but if you remember me telling you all that we love visitors, well we had visitors. Some friends from KY were up on a quick "Babymoon" trip, and well I wasn't going to let rain stop us from seeing them. I have to give them props to because they came out in terrible conditions, and rode the Subway to Brooklyn to meet us. So like I have said before, we love visitors, we will come meet you, and I will ride the subway alone with my two littles to see familiar faces! 

1st of many rides alone, we survived!

Thanks Laura and Dave for battling the weather conditions just to see us!

Once this new stroller arrives and it warms up I am hoping the doors will open and I will feel braver about getting out and about with two littles in tow. I am sure in a few months I will feel like a pro! I'll leave you with some what we have been up to pictures! 

Rockefeller Christmas Tree, we were able to catch it before they took it down.

We went to visit/tour Etsy! If you visit and want to go just let us know, it is definitely something cool to see! 

We go to the park, A LOT! 

We found a doctor, I think! 

This is how we wear them out when its cold, snowing, or raining!

Prospect Park is basically our backyard! 

Our new stroller arrived TODAY! It fits through our doorway, weight 16 lbs., and has cup holders. I'll keep you posted on if we like it or not, fingers crossed!
  




No comments:

Post a Comment